1Cardiologist, Atherosclerosis and Coronary Artery Research Centre Department of Cardiology, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran.
2Internal Medicine Specialist, Birjand Diabetic Research Centre, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran.
3Epidemiologist, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
4Environmental Health Engineering, Imam Khomeini Relief Foundation of South Khorasan,Birjand, Iran
5Cardiologist, Atherosclerosis and Coronary Artery Research Center,Birjand University of Medical Sciences,Birjand,Iran
6Cardiac Surgeon,Atherosclerosis and Coronary Artery Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences,Birjand,Iran
Introduction : Studying the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in low socioeconomic groups is of great importance. People who are under the supervisioin and care of Imam Khomeini Relief Foundation are the most deprived in Iran. The present survey aimed at investigating the prevalence of traditional cardiovascular risk factors among the citizens who are under the supervision of Imam Khomeini Relief Foundation (IKRF). Mathrials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was done on 1008 individuals protected by the IKRF in Birjand in 2008 through multi-stage, random sampling Demographic were recorded. Furthermore, blood pressure, waist circumference, weight and height were measured by two trained nurses. Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) and serum lipids were measured within 12 hours of overnight fasting. Chi-square and T-test were used for data analysis at the significant level of 0.05 using SPSS software (version 15). Results: The mean age of the subjects was 39±16.8 years and the most common risk factor proved to be dyslipidemia (72%). The prevalence of hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyceridemia was 43/2% and 12.7% respectively. Obesity was detected in 32.1% . The prevalence of hypertension (HTN) and diabetes mellitus (DM) appeared to be 13.1% and 6.3% respectively. Smoking was distinguished in 9.8 % of the participants. The prevalence of high Cholestrol (P=0.001),high LDL(p=0.01),low HDL(P<0.001),overweight and obesity(P<0.001) was higher in female ,but prevalence of smoking was higher in male(P<0.001) . Conclusion: Dyslipidemia, obesity and HTN were the most prevalent risk factors in IKRF supported groups with a low socioeconomic status. Thus, it is necessary to hold effective certain educational programs for all the community. Moreover, the screening of cardiac risk factors must be done for all individuals, particularly for those with a low socioeconomic status
1.Azarkar Z, Jafarnejad M, Sharifzadeh G.The relationship between helicobacter pylori infection and myocardial infarction. Caspian J Intern Med. 2011;2:222-5.
2. Kazemi T, Sharifzadeh GR, Zarban A, Fesharakinia A. Comparison of components of metabolic Syndrome in Premature Myocardial infarction in an Iranian Population. A Case Control Study. Int J Prev Med. 2013; 4:110-4.
3.Talaei M, Sarrafzadegan N, Sadeghi M, Oveisgharan S, Marshall T, Thomas GN, et al. Incidence of cardiovascular diseases in an Iranian population:The Isfahan cohort study. Arch Iran Med. 2013; 16: 138 – 144.
4. Gharakhanlou R, Farzad B, Agha-Alinejad H, Steffen LM, Bayati M .Anthropometric measures as predictors of cardiovascular disease risk factors in the urban population of Iran.Arq Bras Cardiol 2012, 98:126-35.
5. Kazemi T,Sharifzadeh GH.R.Changes in risk factors,medical care and rate acute myocardial infarction in Birjand (1994-2003). ARYA Atheroscler 2006, 1:271-274.
6. Sarrafzadegan N, Baghaei A, Sadri GH, et al. Isfahan Healthy Heart Program: evaluation of comprehensive, community-based interventions for noncommunicable disease prevention. Prev Control. 2006;2:73-84.
7. Momenan AA, Delshad M, Mirmiran P, Ghanbarian A, Azizi F. Leisure Time Physical Activity and Its Determinants among Adults in Tehran: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Int J Prev Med 2011, 2:243-51.
8. Hatmi ZN, Tahvildari S, Gafarzadeh Motlag A, Sabouri Kashani A.Prevalence of coronary artery disease risk factors in Iran: a population based survey. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2007 30;7:32.
9. Kanjilal S, Gregg EW, Cheng YJ, et al. Socioeconomic status and trends in disparities in 4 major risk factors for cardiovascular disease among US adults, 1971-2002. Arch Intern Med. 2006 27;166:2348-55.
10. Huisman M, Van Lenthe F, Avendano M, Mackenbach J.The contribution of job characteristics to socioeconomic inequalities in incidence of myocardial infarction. Soc Sci Med. 2008;66:2240-52.
11. Rao KD, Bhatnagar A, Murphy A.Socio-economic inequalities in the financing of cardiovascular & diabetes inpatient treatment in India. Indian J Med Res. 2011;133:57-63.
12. Siadat Z., Abdoli A., Shahsanaei A.Association of an adult obesity, blood pressure and smoking behavior with childhood and adulthood socio-economic position. J Res Med Sci 2012 ,17:221-228
13. Donyavi T, Naieni KH, Nedjat S, Vahdaninia M, Najafi M, Montazeri A . Socioeconomic status and mortality after acute myocardial infarction: a study from Iran. Int J Equity Health 2011, 7;10:9.
14. Sharifzadeh G, Moodi M, Akhbari H. Investigating health status of older people supported by Imam . Iranian Journal of Ageing. 2010; 5 (3) :52-59 .[Persian]
15. Jellinger PS, Smith DA, Mehta AE, Ganda O, Handelsman Y, Rodbard HW, et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists' Guidelines for Management of Dyslipidemia and Prevention of Atherosclerosis. Endocr Pract. 2012;18 Suppl 1:1-78
16. Sarshar N., Ghahramani M., Kianmehr M., Kazemi T., Mokhtarian H., Yaghobi Avval Riabi M. The Study of Serum Lipid Profile in Adults in Gonabad City in 2008, Ofogh-E-Danesh 2009,15(3):57-62.[Persian]
17. Poorolajal J, Zamani R, Mir-Moeini RS,et al.Five-year Evaluation of Chronic Diseases in Hamadan, Iran: 2005-2009. Iranian J Pub Health 2012, 41(3): 71-81.
18. Homan SG, McBride DG, Yun S.The effect of the Missouri Wisewoman program on control of hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, and elevated blood glucose among low-income women. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014;11:E74.
19. Esteghamati A, Khalilzadeh O, Mohammad K, et al. Secular trends of obesity in Iran between 1999 and 2007: National Surveys of Risk Factors of Non-communicable Diseases. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 2010;8:209-13.
20. Moeini M, Mokhtari H, Adibi F, Lotfizadeh N, Moeini M. The prevalence of hypertension among the elderly inpatients in alzahra hospital, Isfahan, Iran.ARYA Atheroscler 2012, 8;1-4
21. Boskabady M, Hassanzadeh AA, Salimi N, Ghamami G,Mazloom R,Hajizadeh S. Study of the level of blood pressure in subjects older than eighteen years in Mashhad, Physiol Pharmacol. 2005, 9:195-202.[persian]
22. Veghari G, Sedaghat M, Maghsodlo S, Banihashem S, Moharloei P, Angizeh A, et al. Impact of literacy on the prevalence, awareness, treatment and control of hypertension in adults in Golestan Province (northern Iran).Caspian J Intern Med. 2013 Winter;4:580-4.
23. Meysamie A, Ghaletaki R, Zhand N , Abbasi M. Cigarette Smoking in Iran. Iranian J Publ Health 2012, 41:01-14
24. Toghianifar N, Sarrafzadegan N, Roohafza H, Sadeghi M, Eshrati B, Sadri G.Smoking cessation support in Iran: availability, sources & predictors. Indian J Med Res 2011 ;133:627-32.
25. Sarrafzadegan N, Talaei M, Kelishadi R, Toghianifar N, Sadeghi M, Oveisgharan S, et al.The influence of gender and place of residence on cardiovascular diseases and their risk factors. The Isfahan cohort study. Saudi Med J. 2012; 33:533-40.
26. Khaledi Far A , Bahonar A,Asadilari M, Boshtam M, Gharipour M, Taghdisi M.H, Sarrafzadegan N.Risk factors of cardiovascular diseases in a worker population in Isfahan province (Isfahan Electricity Production and Distribution Company).ARYA Atherosclerosis Journal 2012, 7:286-291.
27. Azimi-Nezhad M, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Parizadeh MR, Safarian M, Esmaeili H, Parizadeh SM, et al. Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Iran and its relationship with gender, urbanisation, education, marital status and occupation. Singapore Med J 2008;49:571-6.
28. Lotfi MH, Saadati H, Afzali M. Prevalence of Diabetes in People aged ≥30 years: The Results of Screening Program of Yazd Province, Iran, in 2012. J Res Health Sci. 2014; 14:88-92