1, Pediatric Cardiac Surgeon, Department of Cardiovascular surgery, School of Medicine, Isfahan Medical University, Isfahan, Iran
2MS.c of Physiology, Research assistant, Cardiac Surgery Department, Chamran Heart Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
3MS.c of Nursing, Research assistant, Cardiac Surgery Department, Chamran Heart Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.
Introduction: In patients who underwent surgery to repair Tetralogy of Fallot, right ventricular dilation from pulmonary regurgitation may be result in right ventricular failure, arrhythmias and cardiac arrest. Hence, pulmonary valve replacement may be necessary to reduce right ventricular volume overload. The aim of present study was to assess the effects of pulmonary valve replacement on right ventricular function after repair of Tetralogy of Fallot.
Materials and Method: This retrospective study was carried out between July 2011 and October 2013 on 21 consecutive patients in Chamran Heart Center (Esfahan). The study included 13 male (61.9%) and 8 female (38.1%). Cardiac magnetic resonance was performed before, 6 and 12 months after pulmonary valve replacement in all patients (Babak Imaging Center, Tehran) with the 1.5 Tesla system. The main reason for surgery at Tetralogy of Fallot repaired time was Tetralogy of Fallot + Pulmonary insufficiency (17 cases) and Tetralogy of Fallot + Pulmonary atresia (4 cases). Right ventricular function was assessed before and after pulmonary valve replacement with Two-dimensional echocardiography and ttest was used to evaluate follow-up data.
Results: Right ventricular end-diastolic volume, right ventricular end- systolic volume significantly decreased (P value ˂ 0.05).Right ventricular ejection fraction had a significant increase (P value ˂ 0.05). Right ventricular mass substantially shrank after pulmonary valve replacement. Moreover, pulmonary regurgitation noticeably decreased in patients. The other hemodynamic parameter such as left ventricular ejection fraction improved but was not significant (P value= 0.79). Conclusion: Pulmonary valve replacement can successfully restores the impaired hemodynamic function of right ventricle which is caused by direct consequence of volume unloading in patient. Pulmonary valve surgery in children with Tetralogy of Fallot who have moderate to severe pulmonary regurgitation leads to an improvement of right ventricular function.
1.Oosterhof T, van Straten A, Vliegen HW, Meijboom FJ, van Dijk AP, Spijkerboer AM, et al. Preoperative thresholds for pulmonary valve replacement in patients with corrected tetralogy of Fallot using cardiovascular magnetic resonance. Circulation. 2007;116:545-51.
2. Therrien J, Siu S, Harris L, Dore A, Niwa K, Janousek J, et al. Impact of pulmonary valve replacement on arrhythmia propensity late after repair of tetralogy of Fallot. Circulation. 2001;103:2489-94.
3. Jimenez, M., Espil, G., Thambo, J. B, Choussat, A. Outcome of operated Fallot's tetralogy. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 2002;95:1112-8.
4. Van SA, Vliegen HW, Hazekamp MG, Bax JJ, Schoof PH, Ottenkamp J, et al. Right ventricular function after pulmonary valve replacement in patients with tetralogy of Fallot. Radiology 2004;233:824-9.
5. Geva T, Indications and timing of pulmonary valve replacement after tetralogy of Fallot repair. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu; 2006: Elsevier.
6. Vliegen HW, van Straten A, de Roos A, Roest AA, Schoof PH, Zwinderman AH, et al.Magnetic resonance imaging to assess the hemodynamic effects of pulmonary valve replacement in adults late after repair of tetralogy of fallot. Circulation 2002;106:1703-7.
7.Barikbin R, Hekmatnia A, Farghadani M, Basiratnia R. The Role of Cardiac MRI in Children’s Congenital and Acquired Heart Disease. Iran J Radiol. 2014;11:e21264.
8 .Dorfman AL, Geva T. Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of congenital heart disease: conotruncal anomalies. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2006;8:645-59.
9.Chaturvedi RR, Redington AN. Pulmonary regurgitation in congenital heart disease.Heart 2007;93:880-9.
10. Hickey EJ, Veldtman G, Bradley TJ, Gengsakul A, Manlhiot C, Williams WG, et al. Late risk of outcomes for adults with repaired tetralogy of Fallot from an inception cohort spanning four decades. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;35:156-6411.
11. Li S-n, Yu W, Lai CT-m, Wong SJ, Cheung Y-f. Left ventricular mechanics in repaired tetralogy of Fallot with and without pulmonary valve replacement: analysis by three-dimensional speckle tracking echocardiography. PloS one.2013;8:e78826.
12. Lewis MJ, O’Connor DS, Rozenshtien A, Ye S, Einstein AJ, Ginns JM, et al. Usefulness of Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Guide Referral for Pulmonary Valve Replacement in Repaired Tetralogy of Fallot. Am J Cardiol. 2014;114:1406-11.
13.Geva T, Sandweiss BM, Gauvreau K, Lock JE, Powell AJ. Factors associated with impaired clinicalstatus in long-term survivors of tetralogy of Fallot repair evaluated by magnetic resonance imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43:1068-74.
14.Ammash NM, Dearani JA, Burkhart HM, Connolly HM. Pulmonary regurgitation after tetralogy of Fallot repair: clinical features, sequelae, and timing of pulmonary valve replacement. Congenit Heart Dis 2007;2:386-403.
15.Buechel ER, Dave HH, Kellenberger CJ, Dodge-Khatami A, Pretre R, Berger F, et al. Remodelling of the right ventricle after earlypulmonary valve replacement in children with repaired tetralogy of Fallot: assessment by cardiovascular magnetic resonance. Eur Heart J 2005;26:2721-7.
16.Therrien J, Siu SC, McLaughlin PR, Liu PP, Williams WG, Webb GD. Pulmonary valve replacement in adults late after repair of tetralogy of fallot: are we operating too late? J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;36:1670-5.
17. Tweddell JS, Simpson P, Li S-H, Dunham-Ingle J, Bartz PJ, Earing MG, et al., editors. Timing and technique of pulmonary valve replacement in the patient with tetralogy of Fallot. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu; 2012: Elsevier.
18.de Ruijter FT, Weenink I, Hitchcock FJ, Meijboom EJ, Bennink GB. Right ventricular dysfunction and pulmonary valve replacement after correction of tetralogy of Fallot. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002;73:1794-800.
19.Harrild DM, Berul CI, Cecchin F, Geva T, Gauvreau K, Pigula F, et al. Pulmonary valve replacement in tetralogy of Fallot: impact on survival and ventricular tachycardia. Circulation 2009;119:445-51.
20.Shin HJ, Kim YH, Ko JK, Park IS, Seo DM. Outcomes of mechanical valves in the pulmonic position in patients with congenital heart disease over a 20-year period. Ann Thorac Surg 2013 ;95:1367-71.