1Cardiac Surgeon, Cardiac Surgery Department, Amir-Almomenin Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
2Cardiologist, Cardiac Surgery Department, Amir-Almomenin Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
3General Physician, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
4Pediatric Heart Specialist, Amirkabir Hospital, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Atherosclerosis is the most common cause of myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke. Various risk factors have been identified for atherosclerosis. Recently, bacterial and viral organisms, which are involved in chronic inﬂammatory processes, have been also implicated in atherosclerosis development. Individuals with a prior history of periodontal diseases and/or tooth loss are considered to be at a higher risk for peripheral arterial disease, compared to those without periodontal diseases or tooth loss. Evidence suggests that periodontitis contributes to the overall burden of infection and inflammation and may lead to cardiovascular events and stroke in susceptible patients. In this article, we aimed to review the available data on the relationship between periodontal diseases and cardiovascular diseases, especially coronary artery disease. At least sixty papers were reviewed during 2014-15. Of these, 44 were included in our study.
1. Thomopoulos C,Tsioufis C, Soldatos N, Kasiakogias A, Stefanadis C. Periodontitis and coronary artery disease: a questioned association between periodontal and vascular plaques. Am J Cardiovasc Dis. 2011; 1:76–83.
2. Offenbacher S, Katz V, Fertik G, Collins J, Boyd D, Maynor G, et al. Periodontal infection as a possible risk factor for preterm low birth weight. J Periodontol. 1996; 67:1103–13.
3. Garcia RI, Nunn ME, VokonasPS. Epidemiologic associations between periodontal disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Periodontol. 2001; 6:71–7.
4. Marzec-KoronczewskaZ, Płońska E, Kaczmarek A. Chronic tooth infections as a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Czas Stomat. 2001; 4:249–54.
5. Naoum JJ, Chai H, Lin PH, Lumsden AB, Yao Q, Chen C. Lymphotoxin-alpha and cardiovascular disease: clinical association and pathogenic mechanisms. Med Sci Monit. 2006; 12:RA121–4.
6. Bokhari SA, Khan AA. The relationship of periodontal disease to cardiovascular diseases--review of literature. J Pak Med Assoc. 2006; 56:177-81.
7. Kinane D, Bouchard P. Group E of European Workshop on Periodontology. Periodontal diseases and health: Consensus Report of the Sixth European Workshop on Periodontology. J Clin Periodontol. 2008; 35:333-7.
8. Weidlich P, Cimões R, Pannuti CM, Oppermann RV. Association between periodontal diseases and systemic diseases. Braz Oral Res. 2008; 22:32-43.
9. Persson GR, Persson RE. Cardiovascular disease and periodontitis: an update on the associations and risk. J Clin Periodontol. 2008; 35:362-79.
10. Bochniak M, Sadlak-NowickaJ. Periodontitisand cardiovascular disease--review of publications. Przegl Lek. 2004; 61:519–22.
11. Amano A, Inaba H. Cardiovascular diseases and periodontal diseases. Clin Calcium. 2012; 22:43-8.
12. Mattilla KJ, Nieminen MS, Valtonen VV, Rasi VP, Kesaniemi YA, Syrjälä SL, et al. Association between dental health and acute myocardial infarction. BMJ. 1989; 298:779–81.
13. Grau AJ, Buggle F, Siegler C, Schwarz W, Meuser J, Tasman AJ, et al. Association between acute cerebrovascular ischemia and chronic and recurrent infection. Stroke. 1997; 28:1724-9.
14. De Stefano F, Anda RF, Kahn HS, Williamson DF, Russell CM. Dental disease and risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. BMJ. 1993; 306:688–91.
15. Beck J, Garcia R, Heiss G, Vokonas PS, Offenbacher S. Periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease. J Periodontol. 1996; 67:1123–37.
16. Persson RE, Hollender LG, Powell VL, MacEntee M, Wyatt CC, Kiyak HA, et al. Assessment of periodontal conditions and systemic disease in older subjects. II. Focus on cardiovascular diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2002; 29:803–10.
17. Beck JD, Elter JR, Heiss G, Couper D, Mauriello SM, Offenbacher S. Relationship of periodontal disease to carotid artery intima-media wall thickness: the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2001; 21:1816–22.
18. Herzberg MC, Meyer MW. Effects of oral ﬂora on platelets: possible consequences in cardiovascular disease. J Periodontol. 1996; 67:1138-42.
19. Meyer DH, Fives-Taylor PM. Oral pathogens: from dental plaque to cardiac disease. Curr Opin Microbiol. 1998; 1:88–95.
20. Kuramitsu HK, Qi M, Kang IC, Chen W. Role of periodontal bacteria in cardiovascular diseases. Ann Periodontol. 2001; 6:41–7.
21. Srisatjaluk R, Doyle RJ, Justus DE. Outer membrane vesicles of Porphyromonas gingivalis inhibit IFN-g mediated MHC class II expression by human vascular endothelial cells. Microb Pathog. 1999; 27:81–91.
22. Kinane D, Lappin DF. Immune processes in periodontal disease: a review. Ann Periodontol. 2002; 7:62-71.
23. Hajishengahis G,Sharma A, Russell MW, Genco RJ. Interactions of oral pathogens with toll-like receptors: possible role in atherosclerosis. Ann Periodontol. 2002; 7:72-8.
25. PearsonTA, Mensah GA, Alexander RW, Anderson JL, Cannon RO, Criqui M, et al. Markers of inﬂammation and cardiovascular disease: application to clinical and public health practice: a statement for health-care professionals from the Centers for disease control and prevention and the American heart association. Circulation. 2003; 107:499–511.
26. Moutsopoulos NM, Madianos PN. Low-grade inflammation in chronic infectious diseases: paradigm of periodontal infections. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006; 1088:251-64.
27. Schett G, Metzler B, Kleindienst R, Moschèn I, Hattmannsdorfer R, Wolf H, et al. Salivary anti-hsp65 antibodies as a diagnostic marker for gingivitis and a possible link to atherosclerosis. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 1997; 114:246–50.
28. Mayr M, Metzler B, Kiechl S, Willeit J, Schett G, Xu Q, et al. Endothelial cytotoxicity mediated by serum antibodies to heat shock proteins of Escherichia coli and Chlamydia pneumoniae: immune reactions to heat shock proteins as a possible link between infection and atherosclerosis. Circulation. 1999; 99:1560–6.
29. Jansson L, Lavstedt S, Frithiof L, Theobald H. Relationship between oral health and mortality in cardiovascular diseases. J Clin Periodontol. 2001; 28:762–8.
30. Joshipura KJ, Rimm EB, Douglass CW, Trichopoulos D, Ascherio A, Willett WC. Poor oral health and coronary heart disease. J Dent Res. 1996; 75:1631–6.
31. Haraszthy VI, Zambon JJ, TrevisanM, Zeid M, Genco RJ. Identiﬁcation of periodontal pathogens in atheromatous plaques. J Periodontol. 2000; 71:1554–60.
32. Stelzel M, Caurads G, Pankuweit S, Maisch B, Vogt S, Moosdorf R, et al. Detection of Porphyromonas gingivalis DNA in aortic tissue by PCR. J Periodontol. 2002; 73:868-70.
33. Deshpande RG, Khan MB, GencoCA. Invasion of aortic and heart endothelial cells by Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infect Immun. 1998; 66:5337-43.
34. Konopka T. Periodontal medicine: a new research ﬁeld in modern periodontology. Periodontol. 2003; 8:38–44.
35. Azarpazhooh A, Tenenbaum HC. Separating fact from fiction: use of high-level evidence from research syntheses to identify diseases and disorders associated with periodontal disease. J Can Dent Assoc. 2012; 78:c25.
36. Janket SJ, Baird AE, Chuang SK, Jones JA. Meta-analysis of periodontal disease and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003; 95:559-69.
37. Khader YS, Albashaireh ZS, Alomari MA. Periodontal diseases and the risk of coronary heart and cerebrovascular diseases: a meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2004; 75:1046-53.
38. Bahekar AA, Singh S, Saha S, Molnar J, Arora R. The prevalence and incidence of coronary heart disease is significantly increased in periodontitis: a meta-analysis. Am Heart J. 2007; 154:830-7.
39. Mustapha IZ, Debrey S, Oladubu M, Ugarte R. Markers of systemic bacterial exposure in periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2007; 78:2289-302.
40. Humphrey LL, Fu R, Buckley DI, Freeman M, Helfand M. Periodontal disease and coronary heart disease incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23:2079-86.
41. Blaizot A, Vergnes JN, Nuwwareh S, Amar J, Sixou M. Periodontal diseases and cardiovascular events: meta-analysis of observational studies. Int Dent J. 2009; 59:197-209.
42. Ioannidou E, Malekzadeh T, Dongari-Bagtzoglou A. Effect of periodontal treatment on serum C-reactive protein levels: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2006; 77:1635-42.
43. Tonetti MS, D’Aiuto F, Nibali L, Donald A, Storry C, Parker M, et al. Treatment of peridontitis and endothelial function. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356:911-20.
44. Blaizot A, Vergnes JN, Nuwwareh S, Amar J, Sixou M. Periodontal diseases and cardiovascular events: meta-analysis of observational studies. Int Dent J. 2009; 59:197-209.