1Cardiologist, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
2Cardiologist, Atherosclerosis Prevention Research Center, Imam Reza Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Introduction: The correlation between right and left ventricular ejection fractions (RVEF and LVEF, respectively) has been studied in only a small number of patients with a marked decrease in RVEF and LVEF. The aim of the present study was to compare LVEF and RVEF in patients with ischemic heart disease. RVEF and LVEF were measured by Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (CMR) imaging. Materials and Methods: This observational study was done in Ghaem general hospital in 2014. LVEF and RVEF were measured in a series of 33 patients with ischemic heart disease, undergoing CMR for the evaluation of myocardial viability. The correlation between RVEF and LVEF in patients with ischemic heart disease was studied, using Pearson product-moment correlation coefficient analysis. This study was done in Ghaem general hospital in 2014 with simple sapling. Results: Right ventricular end diastolic volume (186.33±58.90) and left ventricular end diastolic volume (121.72±61.64) were significantly correlated (r=0.223, P=0.005). Moreover, there was a significant correlation between right ventricular end systolic volume (88.18±40.90) and left ventricular end systolic volume (140.96±35.33) (r=0.329, P=0.000). The most significant association was observed between RVEF and LVEF (r=0.913, P=0.000). Conclusion: Based on the findings, RVEF and LVEF were significantly correlated in patients with ischemic heart disease, although this association was not always present in all cardiac patients. The cause of this discrepancy is still unknown.
1.Juilliere Y, Barbier G, Feldmann L, Grentzinger A, Danchin N, Cherrier F. Additional predictive value of both left and right ventricular ejection fractions on long-term survival in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J. 1997; 18:276-80.
2. Di Salvo TG, Mathier M, Semigran MJ, Dec GW. Preserved right ventricular ejection fraction predicts exercise capacity and survival in advanced heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995; 25:1143-53.
3. Zornoff LA, Skali H, Pfeffer MA, St John Sutton M, Rouleau JL, Lamas GA, et al. Right ventricular dysfunction and risk of heart failure and mortality after myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39:1450-5.
4. Beck-da-Silva L, de Bold A, Davies R, Chow B, Ruddy T, Fraser M, et al. Effect of bisoprolol on right ventricular function and brain natriuretic peptide in patients with heart failure. Congest Heart Fail. 2004; 10:127-32.
5. Quaife RA, Christian PE, Gilbert EM, Datz FL, Volkman K, Bristow MR. Effects of carvedilol on right ventricular function in chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 1998; 81:247-50.
6. Vizza CD, Lynch JP, Ochoa LL, Richardson G, Trulock EP. Right and left ventricular dysfunction in patients with severe pulmonary disease. Chest. 1998; 113:576-83.
7. Berger HJ, Matthay RA, Loke J, Marshall RC, Gottschalk A, Zaret BL. Assessment of cardiac performance with quantitative radionuclide angiocardiography: right ventricular ejection fraction with reference to findings in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Cardiol. 1978; 41:897-905.
8. Gentzler RD 2nd, Briselli MF, Gault JH. Angiographic estimation of right ventricular volume in man. Circulation. 1974; 50:324-30.
9. Maddahi J, Berman DS, Matsuoka DT, Waxman AD, Stankus KE, Forrester JS, et al. A new technique for assessing right ventricular ejection fraction using rapid multiple-gated equilibrium cardiac blood pool scintigraphy. Description, validation and findings in chronic coronary artery disease. Circulation. 1979; 60:581-9.
10. Emilsson K. Right ventricular long-axis function in relation to left ventricular systolic function. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2004; 24:212-5.
11. MacNee W, Xue QF, Hannan WJ, Flenley DC, Adie CJ, Muir AL. Assessment by radionuclide angiography of right and left ventricular function in chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Thorax. 1983; 38:494-500.
12. Benedetto AR, Nusynowitz ML. Correlation of right and left ventricular ejection fraction and volume measurements. J Nucl Med. 1988; 29:1114-7.