1.North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators, Barnett HJM, Taylor DW, Haynes RB, Sackett DL, Peerless SJ, et al. Beneficial effect of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients with high-grade carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med. 1991; 325:445-53.
2. Meerwaldt R, Hermus L, Reijnen MM, Zeebregts CJ. Carotid endarterectomy: current consensus and controversies. Surg Technol Int. 2010; 20:283-91.
3. Baker WH, Howard VJ, Howard G, Toole JF. Effect of contralateral occlusion on the long-term efficacy of endarterectomy in the asymptomatic carotid atherosclerosis study (ACAS). ACAS Investigators. Stroke. 2000; 31:2330-4.
4. AbuRahma AF, Metz MJ, Robinson PA. Natural history of > or =60% asymptomatic carotid stenosis in patients with contralateral carotid occlusion. Ann Surg. 2003; 238:551-61.
5. Ricotta JJ 2nd, Upchurch GR Jr, Landis GS, Kenwood CT, Siami FS, Tsilimparis N, et al. The influence of contralateral occlusion on results of carotid interventions from the Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Registry. J Vasc Surg. 2014; 60:958-64.
6. Gonzalez A, Gonzalez-Marcos JR, Martinez E, Boza F, Cayuela A, Mayol A, et al. Safety and security of carotid artery stenting for severe stenosis with contralateral occlusion. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2005; 20:123-8.